Thank you to everyone who participated in ProductPlan’s 2015 Product Roadmap Survey. We had a terrific response, with so many product managers giving us their perspective on the goals and challenges of product roadmaps.
Some key results:
- Most roadmaps are executive facing. The secondary audience is the product team.
- The primary objective of most roadmaps is to communicate product strategy. A secondary objective is to help plan and prioritize.
- Coincidentally, the top challenges match the top objectives. Product managers struggle with communicating product strategy and prioritizing.
- Most roadmaps are updated monthly or weekly.
- Despite new tools on the market, most product managers still use presentation software and spreadsheets to manage their roadmaps.
- The top issues with managing roadmaps is the amount of time they take to update. A second issue is that they are not visually compelling.
You can view the full results here.
And we’re happy to announce the winner of the GoPro drawing: Firas, a product manager with a software company in Nevada! Thanks to everyone who participated in our survey.