Integrate ProductPlan with Jira to better connect your strategic roadmap to your specific project details that are being planned and tracked in Jira. The integration lets you connect ProductPlan Bars or Containers with Jira Epics or other issues.
You can link to existing issues or you can create new ones from ProductPlan and push them to Jira. After linking, you can choose to automatically synchronize data in ProductPlan with updates in Jira.
The integration works with both Atlassian Cloud, as well as the installed on-premise version. If you have an on-premise Jira server, it will need to be accessible from outside the firewall. You can find more details for configuring an on-premise server here, or contact firstname.lastname@example.org for further assistance.
Watch the setup video here.
To set up the integration, you will need a ProductPlan account and Jira administrator access. To begin, go to your integrations page in ProductPlan, click “Begin Jira Integration”, and enter your Jira base url:
Step 1: ProductPlan Configuration
If this is the first time someone from your team is configuring the integration, you will need to follow the Jira configuration from Step 2 below. If someone on your team has already done this, you will simply need to authenticate your Jira account. In this case, you will see the following screen. Just click “Allow” to authorize the integration:
Step 2: Jira Configuration
After entering your Jira base url on your integrations page in ProductPlan, you will be provided with the Consumer and Public Keys needed for completing the configuration. Go to your Jira account and follow the steps below to complete the integration:
- From your Dashboards page, access “Jira Settings” from the menu on the left.
- Under the Jira Settings menu select “Products” (Note: earlier Jira versions may say “Applications” or “Add-Ons”).
- Select “Application Links” from under the Integrations section.
- Enter this as the URL in the indicated field: https://app.productplan.com.
- Click “Create new link”.
- If you get a warning saying “No response was received from the URL you entered”, click “Continue”.
- Under Application Name, enter “ProductPlan”.
- For Application Type, select “Generic Application”.
- Do NOT fill out the remaining fields. Leave all remaining fields blank. Click “Continue”.
- Click the “Edit” icon in the Actions column to the right of your newly created ProductPlan application.
- Select “Incoming Authentication” (Note: you may need to scroll to the bottom of the modal in Jira to see all fields).
- Enter the following values, provided from your integrations page in ProductPlan:
- Consumer Key: (provided by ProductPlan)
- Consumer Name: ProductPlan
- Public Key: (provided by ProductPlan – copy everything, including the begin and end certificate lines)
- Consumer Callback URL: https://app.productplan.com/auth/jira/callback
- Click “Save”.
- Return to ProductPlan and click “Next Step” at the bottom of the page. Click “Allow” to authenticate your account.
How to Link ProductPlan Bars to Jira
Once the configuration is complete, you can link Bars and Containers to Epics or other issues in Jira. You can either link them to existing issues, or create new issues to push to Jira. You can link multiple issues from Jira to a single Bar or Container in ProductPlan.
To link to an existing Epic or issue, click on a Bar or Container and click “Links” at the bottom of the details page. Select the Jira tab, and then you can search by the exact ID or Summary text of the issue you want to link.
You can also generate a new issue and push it directly into Jira. Click the ellipsis in the top right corner and select “Add to Jira” to push the item to a Jira project.
Once linked, you and your viewers can click between ProductPlan and the Jira issue. You can also choose to synchronize the Title, Description, and/or the Percent Complete fields in ProductPlan with the corresponding data in Jira.
Synchronizing With Jira
You can set ProductPlan to automatically update the Title, Description, and/or Percent Complete on a Bar or Container based on the data in Jira. You can choose to sync Percent Complete based on:
- The number of stories completed in an Epic
- Story points of all stories in an Epic or Issue
You can configure these options from your integrations page. Once set up, the roadmap will automatically sync daily at 5:00 a.m. UTC, or you can manually sync any time by clicking the Sync Now button. Please note that only the owner of a roadmap can perform the manual sync. You can read more about synchronizing fields with Jira here.
Importing From Jira to ProductPlan
You can import multiple issues from Jira directly to your Parking Lot in ProductPlan. Importing issues will include Title, Description, and automatically create the issue links in ProductPlan. Read more about importing from Jira here.
Configuring Bars to Synchronize
Once the synchronization is set up, any new ProductPlan Bars or Containers that you link to Jira will automatically be synchronized. You’ll need to manually set the synchronization for any Bars or Containers that you previously linked to Jira.
- To disable the synchronization, click the link icon on the Details screen. You can then set the Percent Complete manually.
- You can enable the synchronization by clicking the link icon. The Percent Complete will update at the next daily synchronization or when you click the Sync Now button from the Integrations page.
We use Jira’s OAUTH for identity management, so at no point are user passwords entered into or stored on our system. Revocable tokens are stored on a per-user basis, ensuring that each user’s access in the system matches their access in Jira. ProductPlan’s connection to Jira APIs is via an SSL-encrypted transaction.
- If you are working in a Jira Kanban board, Jira Epics will be marked as complete only if the issue is in the green “Done” column (or whatever you have renamed the last column).