Adding Details to Bars
To edit a Bar’s title and other information, click on the Bar. You can add details to the Bar that will be visible to viewers of your roadmap.
The Details screen has multiple fields so you can edit the specific information on the fly.
- Title – The name that appears on the Bar you have selected. If the title exceeds the length of the Bar, the view from the roadmap will be clipped, depending on which Bar font you have selected.
- Description – This field is a great place for providing a brief explanation about your initiative. It is also visible from the roadmap view when the cursor is hovering over its corresponding Bar.
- Strategic Importance – Describe the specific value that this initiative holds in relation to other items on your roadmap. Strategic Importance could be text or a numeric description. This may be influenced by how you prioritize different items.
- Percent Complete – From 0 to 100, this will automatically be reflected in your roadmap by the fill level of your Bar color. For example, if you select 50% complete, the Bar color will be filled halfway to demonstrate this.
- Effort – Choose between “T shirt” sizing from Small to Extra Large, or numerically from 1-10. Effort can represent est. length of an initiative, team size, or any type of description you’d like. To change the default Effort level, click the Settings button on your Roadmap.
- Legend – Select an existing legend color. This will update the color of the Bar, and will be visible on the roadmap immediately. New legend items can be created from beneath the Legend area on the roadmap view.
- Tags – Tags provide a way to add customizable information to an initiative, such as product owner, geographic region, underlying technology, or status. Choose an existing Tag that you’ve created, or create a new one. Once a Tag is created, it will become available to add to any existing Bar. The Tags will be available to other editors of your roadmap. Tags are a great way to filter initiatives.
- Notes – Add additional notes or concerns that may not correspond with any existing fields. These will be visible from View Mode as well.
- JIRA – If you’ve already integrated with JIRA, select an existing issue that you would like to link with this Bar. You can also create a new JIRA issue from here.
- Links – You can add a link to a page URL. Clicking “Add Link” will pull up two new fields. The first is the text you would like the link to be displayed as and the second is for inserting the page URL. Both fields must be filled in order to save. To edit an existing link, you will need to delete it and re-enter it.
- More… – You can delete or move an item directly to the parking lot by selecting “More” at the bottom of the details page.
- View Mode – Quickly switch to View Mode from the details screen to see how your viewers will see your roadmap. To exit View Mode, click Edit Mode.
As you complete details, they are visible to viewers of your roadmap (items you don’t complete are hidden).